Sermon #29 — True Truth, Real Reality, and Discipleship — 1 John 2:18-25 (& Psalm 19)
Is the Christian faith like eating ice cream? Or is it more like the physics of flying aircraft? Is the truth of Jesus Christ a matter of personal preference? Or is it a matter of the fundamental nature of reality beyond the control of my own predilections? In this sermon, I begin by warning people away from the Christian faith. That may seem like a strange thing for a pastor to do. But as I point out, it is not at all uncommon for people to seek out a religious tradition with the aim of finding comfort and inner peace. People who approach Jesus with that kind of goal in mind will often come away from the encounter shaken. If you want true truth and real reality, then abandoning yourself into the hands of Jesus may be just the thing for you.
Then, listen to “True Truth, Real Reality, and Discipleship.”
©2012 Gary A. Chorpenning; all rights reserved.
- Sermon #24 — The God Who Makes Himself Known — 1 John 1:1-4
- Sermon #25 — Light and Life — 1 John 1:5-10
- Sermon #26 — Knowing God Through Jesus — 1 John 2:1-6
- Sermon #27 — Loving Like Jesus — 1 John 2:7-11
- Sermon #28 — Getting Rooted and Grounded in “Forever” — 1 John 2:12-17